Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Melting Front and Free Surface

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

I'm currently attempting to build a model similar to the "Tin Melting Front" in the model library. This model describes the melting of a metal through the Stefan problem and models the movement of the melting front using the Deformed Geometry interface. In my particular problem I wish to model this melting front but also the movement of the free surface of the liquid metal (this is a similar problem to metal welding).

It is my understanding that the solid/liquid front should be modeled with the Deformed Geometry interface, but the movement of the free surface of liquids is modeled with the Moving Mesh interface.

Is it possible to use both interfaces in the same model to describe the two different interfaces or is there another way to do this?

Thanks for the help.
Helena

2 Replies Last Post 27.04.2017, 05:38 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Helena Kaufmann

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago 28.02.2014, 10:26 GMT-5
Hello,

i think that everything can be resolved by deformed geometry,
I am also interested in this kind of problem. It seems difficult to model, particularly conditions on the free surface where forces are equilibrate: superficial tension, gravity, magnetic pressure (for my case)...

Any ideas?

Julien
Hello, i think that everything can be resolved by deformed geometry, I am also interested in this kind of problem. It seems difficult to model, particularly conditions on the free surface where forces are equilibrate: superficial tension, gravity, magnetic pressure (for my case)... Any ideas? Julien

Posted: 7 years ago 27.04.2017, 05:38 GMT-4
Hi

did someone find a solution for this ?

I am dealing with a similar issue

Best
Robert

--
______
Flanell
Hi did someone find a solution for this ? I am dealing with a similar issue Best Robert -- ______ Flanell

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.