Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

fluid solid interaction for blood flow

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, I am trying to model blood flow in a cylindrical elastic blood vessel. I am using velocity inlet and pressure outlet boundary conditions. The program does not converge. According to my search, i need to use special solver settings. I have tried many things in the last two weeks without success. Program finds solution for the rigid case. But for the elastic case, I cannot succeed convergence.

3 Replies Last Post 16.01.2014, 10:29 GMT-5
Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago 15.01.2014, 16:55 GMT-5
Hi Kamil,

Try using the Fully Coupled Solver instead of the Segregated Solver. It sometimes works better when the structure is soft. Also, try ramping up the inlet velocity from zero to its desired value. That should help with convergence.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
Hi Kamil, Try using the Fully Coupled Solver instead of the Segregated Solver. It sometimes works better when the structure is soft. Also, try ramping up the inlet velocity from zero to its desired value. That should help with convergence. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Posted: 1 decade ago 15.01.2014, 17:52 GMT-5
Thank you very much Mr. Nagi for fast reply. Bu t I do not know how to ramp up the velocity. Could you inform me about that. Thanks in advance.
Thank you very much Mr. Nagi for fast reply. Bu t I do not know how to ramp up the velocity. Could you inform me about that. Thanks in advance.

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago 16.01.2014, 10:29 GMT-5
If it’s a stationary analysis you can do that by multiplying the inlet velocity with a new parameter that increases gradually from zero to one using Parametric Sweep (see documentation for details). If it’s a transient analysis you can multiply the inlet velocity with a step function that increases gradually from zero to one.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
If it’s a stationary analysis you can do that by multiplying the inlet velocity with a new parameter that increases gradually from zero to one using Parametric Sweep (see documentation for details). If it’s a transient analysis you can multiply the inlet velocity with a step function that increases gradually from zero to one. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.