Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

3D rotating disc problem

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi

I want to a 3D rotating disc simulation in COMSOL 4.2 ver.
How can I do this simulation?

For example, I want to rotate a disc about 1000 RPM.
At 'Initial Values' in 'Solid Mechanics(solid)', the velocity field is a 'ROTATING' velocity ? Maybe... velocity field is equal to '((rpm/60)*radius*(2*pi))' ? (unit = m/s)
Or 'Prescribed Velocity' in 'Solid Mechanics(solid)', the prescribed in y(or x) direction is a 'ROTATING' velocity ? (unit = m/s)

In brief , if I decide some velocity value(m/s) for initial value or prescribed velocity, then its rotating motion is 'REALLY' rotating in 3D space ?

Thank you.

1 Reply Last Post 03.01.2014, 02:39 GMT-5

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 03.01.2014, 02:39 GMT-5
Hi

I have struggled with this problem a while ago. I started with the Model Library model "Rotating disk" in CFD package. The problem which I ran into was that at high rotating speeds the solution did not converge, and the limiting current was not linear with the sqrt(omega). In the latest version 4.4a the solvers have apparently been improved so that I almost had it right, but only at moderately low rotating speeds.

Meshing is the most crucial issue here, and the results I obtained varied enormously (100%) when trying different meshes.
Hi I have struggled with this problem a while ago. I started with the Model Library model "Rotating disk" in CFD package. The problem which I ran into was that at high rotating speeds the solution did not converge, and the limiting current was not linear with the sqrt(omega). In the latest version 4.4a the solvers have apparently been improved so that I almost had it right, but only at moderately low rotating speeds. Meshing is the most crucial issue here, and the results I obtained varied enormously (100%) when trying different meshes.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.