Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Meshing a twisted wire

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I'm trying to model the flow of current in a twisted wire. The inner rods are of steel, the outer of Al (see attached file). The steel rods are twisted clockweise, while the Al rods are twisted counter-clockwise.
When I mesh it, it fails to generate mesh for some domains.
I would like to ask how to mesh helix structures, when they experience point contact?

6 Replies Last Post 01.09.2015, 09:04 GMT-4
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago 26.12.2013, 06:17 GMT-5

Mikhail,

you could try to put together a meshing sequence generating swept meshes for one domain (strand) after the other. This should not be impacted by the point contacts.
Remains the problem to mesh the space between the strands. I don't have a suggestion there and due to the point contacts this will necessarily produce unfavourable element geometries and maybe current singularities.
Point contacts should be avoided.

Cheers
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Mikhail, you could try to put together a meshing sequence generating swept meshes for one domain (strand) after the other. This should not be impacted by the point contacts. Remains the problem to mesh the space between the strands. I don't have a suggestion there and due to the point contacts this will necessarily produce unfavourable element geometries and maybe current singularities. Point contacts should be avoided. Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com

Posted: 1 decade ago 11.02.2014, 11:11 GMT-5
Edgar,

Thank you. Could you please provide some details on swept meshing. All the time I get an error (Unsupported topology of linking face) when trying to do the following thing:
First I mesh several boundaries with free triangular (see attache file).
then I add swept to my Mesh-1 where I indicate source faces to be already meshed in previous step boundaries and destination faces as boundaries on the other side.
I've already recreated my geometry and turned point contacts into surface contacts (another attached file)

So what am I doing wrong? Or maybe its impossible to mesh the geometry with swept tool?
Edgar, Thank you. Could you please provide some details on swept meshing. All the time I get an error (Unsupported topology of linking face) when trying to do the following thing: First I mesh several boundaries with free triangular (see attache file). then I add swept to my Mesh-1 where I indicate source faces to be already meshed in previous step boundaries and destination faces as boundaries on the other side. I've already recreated my geometry and turned point contacts into surface contacts (another attached file) So what am I doing wrong? Or maybe its impossible to mesh the geometry with swept tool?

Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago 11.02.2014, 12:18 GMT-5
Mikhail,

the swept mesh needs a constant cross section along the sweeping direction. So the interpenetration of wires prevents it from success.

Cheers
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Mikhail, the swept mesh needs a constant cross section along the sweeping direction. So the interpenetration of wires prevents it from success. Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com

Posted: 1 decade ago 12.02.2014, 04:03 GMT-5
Thank you!
Thank you!

Posted: 10 years ago 04.09.2014, 11:45 GMT-4
Hello,
Did you solve your meshing problem?, I am in a similar issue
Hello, Did you solve your meshing problem?, I am in a similar issue

Posted: 9 years ago 01.09.2015, 09:04 GMT-4
Hi Edxon
how are you ?

I want to ask a question. My question is related with twisted wire or wire coil mesh. Can you help me which type of mesh is suitable in this topic ?
Thank you
Hi Edxon how are you ? I want to ask a question. My question is related with twisted wire or wire coil mesh. Can you help me which type of mesh is suitable in this topic ? Thank you

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.