Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Calculated resistance of a multi turn coil in frequency domain is too high

Mahesh MS by Research

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,
I hope anybody in this forum had the same experience with the multi turn coil domain.
In my model i have a simple multi-turn-coil domain. My problem is that the resistance calculated in frequency domain is too high(Order of Mega Ohms). This happens when the coil is placed in an air box and is simulated. But if i remove the air box and simulate the coil , then the resistance of the coil is around 25 ohms.
If anyone would help, kindly reply.

Regards,
Mahesh Raja

3 Replies Last Post 25.03.2014, 01:00 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 05.12.2013, 02:03 GMT-5
Hi Mahesh,

your coil definition is for "circular" but the geometry is not a circle. Yes, it must
be a circle in the exact mathematical sense. You should use numeric.

I am not sure that this explains all. Note tha the coil resistance mf.mtcd1.R is 25 Ohms.

Regards.

Jens

Hi Mahesh, your coil definition is for "circular" but the geometry is not a circle. Yes, it must be a circle in the exact mathematical sense. You should use numeric. I am not sure that this explains all. Note tha the coil resistance mf.mtcd1.R is 25 Ohms. Regards. Jens

Posted: 1 decade ago 24.03.2014, 14:45 GMT-4
i'm stuck in the same problem , how do you change the "circular" item?
kind regards,
Gianmarco
i'm stuck in the same problem , how do you change the "circular" item? kind regards, Gianmarco

Mahesh MS by Research

Posted: 1 decade ago 25.03.2014, 01:00 GMT-4
In Multi turn Coil Domain there is an option called as "Coil Type" where u can change it to circular. But doing this u need to also set a reference edge for circular coil. Kindly note if the coil is circular then the reference edge provided must lie at the center of the coil . If the edge is on the ID of coil then an under estimated value of impedance & surface current density would be obtained and vice versa.

Regards,
Mahesh
In Multi turn Coil Domain there is an option called as "Coil Type" where u can change it to circular. But doing this u need to also set a reference edge for circular coil. Kindly note if the coil is circular then the reference edge provided must lie at the center of the coil . If the edge is on the ID of coil then an under estimated value of impedance & surface current density would be obtained and vice versa. Regards, Mahesh

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.