Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Piezoelectric material properties

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am using a piezoelectric material in my modeling. I know Young's modulus, density, Poisson's ratio and dielectric co-efficient of the piezoelectric material. However, I do not know how to find the required values such as Elasticity matrix, Coupling matrix and Permittivity matrix to give as input in COMSOL in the stress-charge form.

For your information, I am considering the material as isotropic.

If anybody knows how to calculate, please help me.

Regards,
Kiran

2 Replies Last Post 15.11.2013, 11:26 GMT-5
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago 15.11.2013, 08:31 GMT-5

Kiran,

these are material properties. You cannot calculate them, you need to take them from a datasheet or measure them.
If you don't have these data I would recommend to start with one of the predefined materials in the material library. And btw. piezoelectric materials aren't isotropic, they are polarized some way that is reflected by the coupling and permittivity matrices.

Cheers
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Kiran, these are material properties. You cannot calculate them, you need to take them from a datasheet or measure them. If you don't have these data I would recommend to start with one of the predefined materials in the material library. And btw. piezoelectric materials aren't isotropic, they are polarized some way that is reflected by the coupling and permittivity matrices. Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com

Alberto Garcia-Cristobal

Posted: 1 decade ago 15.11.2013, 11:26 GMT-5
HI

You just need to google . There are many theoretical and experimental data .
If you are working with III–V compound you can have a lot at
scitation.aip.org/content/aip/journal/jap/89/11/10.1063/1.1368156
HI You just need to google . There are many theoretical and experimental data . If you are working with III–V compound you can have a lot at http://scitation.aip.org/content/aip/journal/jap/89/11/10.1063/1.1368156

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.