Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Meshing MEMS switches with narrow air gaps and thin layers

Sarath Gopalakrishnan

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello there,
I was trying to run a parametric sweep on a MEMS switch design. It consists of a top beam(1um thick), a bottom electrode (2um thick), an oxide layer(0.1um thick) on top of the bottom electrode and air gap of 2um separating the oxide layer and the top beam. I created a big air box to encompass all the domains.

At first, I tried to mesh it together, but it was showing errors like "Failed to respect the boundaries". This error was connected with the edges of the oxide layer. So, I tried to mesh individual domains in different meshes. Nevertheless, the simulation is unsuccessful and is returning this error.

Failed to find a solution for the initial parameter.
In segregated group 3:
Very ill-conditioned preconditioner.
The relative residual is more than 1000 times larger than the relative tolerance.
Returned solution is not converged.

I tried to play around with the tolerance factor and residual factor in the study>solver configuration>solver>stationary solver>segregated. It did not work out. Anyone has faced the same issue? How to rectify this? Thanks in advance.

0 Replies Last Post 27.10.2013, 01:46 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Sarath Gopalakrishnan

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.