Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

From cartesian to spherical coordinates

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am trying to solve a non-steady state problem in spherical coordinates using a square as a geometry for possible latter extrusions to other linear geometry.

Thus the real equation I want to solve is (du/dt = grad(-c*r^2 grad(u)))

In the generic equation, (du/dt =grad (-c grad (u))), I introduce the diffusion term as follows c= D*y^2 being y^2 the height of the square (effectively the radial direction). I then introduce y^2 as well in the mass coefficient (as if all the original equation had been multiplied by y^2).

Is this approach correct?

thanks

1 Reply Last Post 19.10.2013, 06:35 GMT-4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 19.10.2013, 06:35 GMT-4
My answer to my own question, in case it is useful for anyone ;-)

You can 'change the coordinates' if you properly define your equation (by default in cartesians)

See attachment (taken from 'Extraction optimization in food engineering' By Tzia and Liadakis ,in chapter 2, 'Solid-liquid extraction' by J.M Aguilera)

Regards,
My answer to my own question, in case it is useful for anyone ;-) You can 'change the coordinates' if you properly define your equation (by default in cartesians) See attachment (taken from 'Extraction optimization in food engineering' By Tzia and Liadakis ,in chapter 2, 'Solid-liquid extraction' by J.M Aguilera) Regards,

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.