Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to model the case of a two-wire transmission line in 3D frequency domain RF module?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am trying to model a transmission line composed by two cooper wires embedded in air using the 3D frequency domain RF module in COMSOL 4.3b. The wires have cylindrical longitudinal profile and circular cross-section. I use lumped ports (coaxial type) to collect the RF response of the line.
The computed results show that the electric field is entering or exiting from both wires while the expected result corresponds to field lines exiting from one conductor toward to the other. Does someone have any tip about the possible sources of error? I have run simulations for different conditions at the boundaries of the computational domain (that is air), however, the obtained results are always the same (not matching to theoretical expectations).

2 Replies Last Post 15.10.2013, 18:47 GMT-4
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago 15.10.2013, 04:05 GMT-4
Anderson,

you probably have to think about the ports. A two wire transmission line should be excited by a uniform port connecting the two wires.

Cheers
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Anderson, you probably have to think about the ports. A two wire transmission line should be excited by a uniform port connecting the two wires. Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com

Posted: 1 decade ago 15.10.2013, 18:47 GMT-4

Anderson,

you probably have to think about the ports. A two wire transmission line should be excited by a uniform port connecting the two wires.

Cheers
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com

Dear Edgar,

I changed the geometry of the computational domain and the computed results seem more reliable. I applied uniform type in the lumped ports as you recommend.

Thanks for the help!!!

Cheers,
Anderson O. silva
[QUOTE] Anderson, you probably have to think about the ports. A two wire transmission line should be excited by a uniform port connecting the two wires. Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com [/QUOTE] Dear Edgar, I changed the geometry of the computational domain and the computed results seem more reliable. I applied uniform type in the lumped ports as you recommend. Thanks for the help!!! Cheers, Anderson O. silva

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.