Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Deep Brain Stimulation (DBS) simulation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, I'm a COMSOL begginer and i'm trying to simulate DBS in comsol using the Laplace equation for solving the electric potential within a defined geometry, in this case i had built a sphere including the DBS lead electrode geometry wich has a potential stimulus of -1v defined using the Dirichlet boundary conditions. The ground of the model is defined in two configurations, one is using all the boundaries of the sphere as the ground and the other one is using a cilinder coupled to the sphere and then the base side of the cilinder defined as the ground.

The results when the ground are all the boundaries of the sphere are expected, but when the ground cilinder is used some unexpected potential levels can be find in the region within the cilinder. I don't know if it related to the coupling between the cilinder and the sphere, since i just put a portion of the cilinder into the sphere without doing a coupling between them. How is the better way to simulate this coupling?

Any help will be very appreciated.

0 Replies Last Post 26.09.2013, 11:37 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Cristian Torres

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.