Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Simulating Rayleigh II integral

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I have been trying to calculate the propagation matrix that is found in Rayleigh II integral, using simulated data from COMSOL. I want to use such matrix in pressure-to-pressure calculations with simulated data. I have seen that COMSOL's 'Far-field calculation' solves Kirchhoff-Helmholtz integral, however it seems not to solve for arbitrary pressure values in space, i.e. computes far-field plots. Neither I have found if it is somehow possible to impose Dirichlet's boundary condition in COMSOL's 'Far-field calculation', which could lead to Rayleigh II integral from K-H integral.

First attached you can find the model 'PMatrixRayleighII.mph'. It consists of a 2D model with a compact dipole (two point sources at the origin, opposite in phase and closely positioned), outputting a pressure vector from a dataset at fixed y-coordinate ∆y. As a starting point I'm interested in plan-parallel planes, where the propagation matrix is Toeplitz and can be filled with the pressure vector obtained from just one dipole. In order to validate the calculated matrix, I made an additional model 'PMatrixValidation.mph'. In this case I used 3 point sources and obtained pressure vectors from datasets at fixed y0 and y1, such that y1 - y0 = ∆y. Then in MATLAB, I convolved the pressure vector at y0 with the propagation matrix, and compared it with COMSOL's pressure vector at y1; which yielded no similarity between them. I tried other source configurations too but no success.

I couldn't find then a source-independent way in COMSOL to solve pressure-to-pressure convolutions (which Rayleigh II integral solves); but I'm unsure if the computation and/or the validation model I have done are wrong for this particular purpose. I would like to know if you have any suggestions, corrections or ideas about this, I have been stuck for about two months with no luck. If you need me to clarify something else please let me know. Many thanks in advance for your kind attention and support, I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,
/E

0 Replies Last Post 24.09.2013, 08:58 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Elias Zea

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.