Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Cavity Resonator

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,
I try to simulate a simple case of rectangular cavity resonator. I've found the resonance frequency analyticaly and by using eigenfrequency method that is published in COMSOL model gallery (Model ID: 9618). But when I try to simulate spectral response, I get a strange result:
I use rectangular port BC with TM mode, mode number: 11
1. I get "peak" instead of "dip"
2. At frequencies that are higher than resonance frequency (in agreement with my prev. calcs), I get no response (attached an image)

I use COMSOL 4.2a
Does anybody have any idea what might be the problem?

3 Replies Last Post 14.01.2014, 00:30 GMT-5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Gary Zaiats

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago 13.01.2014, 03:32 GMT-5
hello, Gary
I'm doing a transducer with a resonance cavity. May I ask you how did you get the resonance frequency(or eigenfrequency ) of the cavity please ?I can't get the result by comsol. thank you in advance!

David Cao
hello, Gary I'm doing a transducer with a resonance cavity. May I ask you how did you get the resonance frequency(or eigenfrequency ) of the cavity please ?I can't get the result by comsol. thank you in advance! David Cao

Posted: 1 decade ago 13.01.2014, 14:51 GMT-5
Hi David,
For a simple rectangular resonator, there's an analytical expression (for example here: wcchew.ece.illinois.edu/chew/ece350/ee350-23.pdf). In my case, I found a very good agreement between COMSOL eigenfrequency (Model ID: 9618) solution to the analytical solution

Bye,
Gary
Hi David, For a simple rectangular resonator, there's an analytical expression (for example here: http://wcchew.ece.illinois.edu/chew/ece350/ee350-23.pdf). In my case, I found a very good agreement between COMSOL eigenfrequency (Model ID: 9618) solution to the analytical solution Bye, Gary

Posted: 1 decade ago 14.01.2014, 00:30 GMT-5
Hi, Gary
Thank you for your help! I will do the research of it.

David
Hi, Gary Thank you for your help! I will do the research of it. David

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.