Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Comsol's capability on modeling atomic oxygen ionization and movement control

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

I am considering a dielectric barrier discharge (DBD) particle control problem in the space environment.

I read a Comsol paper on modeling the DBD flow control in the atmosphere, and I wonder if we can also do it in the space for the high-speed discrete atomic oxygen. On the low earth orbit, it's almost vacuum but it still has one billion discrete neutral oxygen atoms per cubic centimeter, though they are no more in continuum state as in the atmosphere. If we setup a DBD plasma actuator on the outer surface of a spacecraft, can we successfully ionize the oxygen atoms at an incoming speed of 7.8 km/s and then control their movement?

Can anyone tell me if the ionization and control process are achievable in physics and if Comsol has the capability for the modeling job?

Thank you very much!

0 Replies Last Post 13.09.2013, 23:22 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Zhisong Li

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.