Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Acoustic-Structure Model

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Good evening,

I am attempting to model the response of a fixed beam when driven by an acoustic source within a fluid. Initially, I used an eigenfrequency study and obtained results that make sense to me. Next, I am trying to include the source and use a time dependent modal study to observe the beam's motion over time and its response at certain frequencies. However, when I run this study, I get the error "No eigenpair solution selected."

I have attached my model (cleared the mesh and solutions due to size). I have a few questions:

1. To model the source, I am using a flat circle set a certain distance away from the beam and using the interior normal acceleration function with x_acceleration = (constant)*cos(2*pi*freq*t). Is this the correct way to model an acoustic source driving the beam at a frequency freq for a time vector t?

2. I have used the acoustic-structure module, the fluid-structure interaction, and the solid mechanics module, and I'm not sure if using all three is unnecessary. I am trying to have the beam fixed at one end and submerged in a given fluid. Is this correct?

3. I ran this model with simply a time dependent model and it converges but the beam does not show any displacement or deformation. What could cause a result like this?

Thanks for any help!

0 Replies Last Post 12.09.2013, 23:05 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Chris House

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.