Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

time information of streamline

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi

I solved a laminar flow diffusion mixing stationary problem for a simple system.

In the result I plot 1000 streamlines. I need to know the mixing time for every streamline so I have to get the time information of streamlines. i.e: I need to know how much time does it take for the liquid to go from one point on a streamline to the other point.

Is it possible?

Or I can read out a table of x,y,z coordinates and time as well as other physical information in each streamline to a text file then process it with matlab. Is there a way to do so?

Thank you.

4 Replies Last Post 02.07.2013, 04:55 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 01.07.2013, 16:37 GMT-4
Anyone has an idea how to do this? I just need a way to calculate the time for liquid to travel between one point to another point along a streamline.
Anyone has an idea how to do this? I just need a way to calculate the time for liquid to travel between one point to another point along a streamline.

Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago 01.07.2013, 17:22 GMT-4
Dingjie,

maybe this thread www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/35623 can give you a hint how to export streamline coordinates.

But as you stated you ran a stationary study so it doesn't contain time. You might consider integrating something like the quotient dr / v(r) along the streamline. r being the spatial position and v(r) the velocity along the streamline. This should give you the time, right?

Cheers
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
www.emphys.com
Dingjie, maybe this thread http://www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/35623 can give you a hint how to export streamline coordinates. But as you stated you ran a stationary study so it doesn't contain time. You might consider integrating something like the quotient dr / v(r) along the streamline. r being the spatial position and v(r) the velocity along the streamline. This should give you the time, right? Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser http://www.emphys.com

Posted: 1 decade ago 01.07.2013, 18:06 GMT-4
Thank you for your reply. That is the same thing in my mind.

Is there a way to export a data file that contains the coordinates of streamlines along with some values at the coordinate, i.e. velocity vector, velocity magnitude and concentration? In my streamline out put file, there is only coordinates and I have to scan through the 2D velocity map and concentration map to get the info, which is a time consuming process.
Thank you for your reply. That is the same thing in my mind. Is there a way to export a data file that contains the coordinates of streamlines along with some values at the coordinate, i.e. velocity vector, velocity magnitude and concentration? In my streamline out put file, there is only coordinates and I have to scan through the 2D velocity map and concentration map to get the info, which is a time consuming process.

Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago 02.07.2013, 04:55 GMT-4

Sorry I don't know, I don't have the flow module.

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
www.emphys.com
Sorry I don't know, I don't have the flow module. -- Edgar J. Kaiser http://www.emphys.com

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.