Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

mixing two laminar flows of different fluids in the same chamber

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

I am trying to mix two laminar flows of different fluids within the same chamber in a very simple geometry. In particular, I have two “inlet pipes” converging into a common chamber with an outlet.

Through the first pipe there is an input flow of water whilst the second pipe introduces methanol in the chamber. In both cases the inlet condition is set as a constant mass flow.

Not sure which physics I have to use as to model this. I have already tried including several laminar flows as well as with multi-phase physics but I was not able to obtain relevant solutions.

Any advice in this regard?

Thanks a lot in advance.

2 Replies Last Post 13.10.2013, 21:30 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Jon Pey

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago 10.10.2013, 06:23 GMT-4
I have the same problem. I could not find a similar tutorial which involves mixing two different fluids.

I have done several tutorials about mixing, including static mixers, but those tutorials only work with one fluid (water).

It can be as simple as taking a T-joint ending in a pipe or even a static mixer

Thanks in advance
I have the same problem. I could not find a similar tutorial which involves mixing two different fluids. I have done several tutorials about mixing, including static mixers, but those tutorials only work with one fluid (water). It can be as simple as taking a T-joint ending in a pipe or even a static mixer Thanks in advance

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago 13.10.2013, 21:30 GMT-4
Dear David,

Look up the multiphase flow COMSOL gallery examples like the Inkjet Nozzle. Even though it’s a single inlet problem the settings should be quite similar to what you need. For fluid mixing problems always watch out for artificial diffusion which could can easily be mistaken for good fluid mixing.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
Dear David, Look up the multiphase flow COMSOL gallery examples like the Inkjet Nozzle. Even though it’s a single inlet problem the settings should be quite similar to what you need. For fluid mixing problems always watch out for artificial diffusion which could can easily be mistaken for good fluid mixing. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.