Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Overlapping 1D beams with different properties

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I am trying to combine two models of 1D beams each with different properties. The 1D models are simplifications of a solid nuclear fuel rod composed of uranium dioxide and its fuel cladding composed of zircaloy which are assembled together. I have two 1D beam models with all properties, one for the fuel rod and one for the sheath. I need to somehow combine these models such that they overlap in space and have properties approximate to that of the assembled fuel element. Does anyone have any suggestions on how these two models can be combined into one. I am fairly new to comsol and have only been using it for a month and this methodolgy was explained to me by another user so I am not sure if this is the right approach. Any help is appreciated.

1 Reply Last Post 12.06.2013, 05:44 GMT-4
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 12.06.2013, 05:44 GMT-4
Hi,

You can add two Beam physics interfaces to the same edge, and then make them have common degrees of freedom by changing the names of the degrees of freedom in the 'Dependent Variables' section in the Beam node of the second Beam interface (u2, th2) so that they match the those of the first Beam interface (u, th) .

Regards,
Henrik
Hi, You can add two Beam physics interfaces to the same edge, and then make them have common degrees of freedom by changing the names of the degrees of freedom in the 'Dependent Variables' section in the Beam node of the second Beam interface (u2, th2) so that they match the those of the first Beam interface (u, th) . Regards, Henrik

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.