Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Does processor's clock speed matter for best computation in COMSOL?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello all,

I am planning to buy a new computer with processor Intel Xeon E5-2620 and Server Motherboard Intel S2600CP2. I want to achieve best computational performance in COMSOL, and knowledge base "www.comsol.com/support/knowledgebase/866/" has lead me to that choice based on my budget constraint.

But I'm still not sure if clock speed doesn't really matter for good performance in COMSOL. Because Intel Xeon E5-2620 only has clock speed of 2GHz, which is low compared to my current i7-2600K 3.4GHz. I worry that Intel Xeon E5-2620 will has slower performance than my current i7-2600K because low clock speed becomes the bottleneck in computation.

Does clock speed really doesn't matter, or it does? It would be better if someone can explain to me in detail why clock speed matters/not.

I appreciate any of your help. Thank you.

Regards,
David

0 Replies Last Post 30.05.2013, 21:14 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello David Gongora

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.