Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Charge induction in semiconductor

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I want to simulate the movement of a cloud of electrons in an electric field, through a semi-conductor material.
I used the COMSOL Electrostatics module to calculate the electric fieldlines.
Now, I also want to calculate the charge induction at the electrodes, i.e., the so-called weighting potentials.
I have understood this could be possible with COMSOL, but I cannot find the appropriate physics interface to do this.
I currently use the COMSOL Multiphysics module (version 4.3a), and mainly have been using the AC/DC, electrostatics interface.
Is there some interface for charge induction simulation implemented?
I read some articles that mentioned the ‘Convection and Diffusion’ interface in COMSOL, but where can I find this within the Multiphysics module?

Also, since I want to simulate the movement of a charge-carrier cloud (i.e. a bunch of electrons), I wonder whether what would be the best way to simulate this.
Instead of simulating an entire cloud, I only want to simulate a single charge carrier and later simulate the diffusion of a cloud in a stand-alone program.
However, to simulate the movement of a particle inside an electric field, can I do this with the Multiphysics module?
Or do I have to purchase the so-called "Particle Tracing Module" additionally? (My fear is that this module will be unnecessarily large, since the only thing I really need is just an electron that can be placed in an electric field).

Best regards,

Machiel Kolstein

0 Replies Last Post 14.05.2013, 10:01 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Machiel Kolstein

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.