Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Eigen frequency analysis

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

hi,
i am dealing with a nanotube sensor...can i use eigen frequency study step to find frequency at which displacement is maximum or should i use some other study step..

7 Replies Last Post 07.10.2013, 07:45 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 30.04.2013, 13:03 GMT-4
An eigenfrequency step will give you a list of all (or as many as you request) the natural frequencies of your system. You can then look at the deformed mode shape to see what displacement will be qualitatively. The normalization used in an eigenvalue problem is somewhat arbitrary. However, it is likely that the largest displacement will correspond to the lowest mode. Once you have performed an eigenfrequency step to find all potential modes, you must then perform a frequency domain step where you apply a load or displacement over a range of frequencies and measure the displacement. You don't have to sweep over a huge band once you've done the eigenfrequency, since you know where the resonant modes are; you might only have to sweep over a band of a few frequencies centered about the one you get from the eigenfrequency step.
An eigenfrequency step will give you a list of all (or as many as you request) the natural frequencies of your system. You can then look at the deformed mode shape to see what displacement will be qualitatively. The normalization used in an eigenvalue problem is somewhat arbitrary. However, it is likely that the largest displacement will correspond to the lowest mode. Once you have performed an eigenfrequency step to find all potential modes, you must then perform a frequency domain step where you apply a load or displacement over a range of frequencies and measure the displacement. You don't have to sweep over a huge band once you've done the eigenfrequency, since you know where the resonant modes are; you might only have to sweep over a band of a few frequencies centered about the one you get from the eigenfrequency step.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 30.04.2013, 14:27 GMT-4
Hi

I would just add that if you have no damping in the model, you might not manage to pass the resonance as the Q factor (or resonance finess might too steep for the solver. So consider adding some damping, even if this is a delicate value to estimate correctly

And note that with damping your response might well become complex so you must consider absolute value and angle (argument with arg() or an atan2(imag(),real()) check the doc/help )
--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I would just add that if you have no damping in the model, you might not manage to pass the resonance as the Q factor (or resonance finess might too steep for the solver. So consider adding some damping, even if this is a delicate value to estimate correctly And note that with damping your response might well become complex so you must consider absolute value and angle (argument with arg() or an atan2(imag(),real()) check the doc/help ) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 12.09.2013, 12:31 GMT-4
Hi Geoffrey Moss,

Thanks for your explanation. I am also working on the problem. I still have a question.
Do i define eigenfrequency step and frequency domain step in one study type or they should be in two different study types? Does really matter if frequency domain step is defined by eigenfrequency study step?
Hi Geoffrey Moss, Thanks for your explanation. I am also working on the problem. I still have a question. Do i define eigenfrequency step and frequency domain step in one study type or they should be in two different study types? Does really matter if frequency domain step is defined by eigenfrequency study step?

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago 13.09.2013, 10:38 GMT-4
Hi Sarah,

Eigenfrequency and frequency domain analyses are different studies that are independent of each other. There is another study type though which is frequency domain modal. That one performs a frequency domain analysis based on the modal (eigenfrequency) solution. COMSOL has a predefined study type for this one that creates an eigenfrequency step and automatically links its output to the frequency domain step.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
Hi Sarah, Eigenfrequency and frequency domain analyses are different studies that are independent of each other. There is another study type though which is frequency domain modal. That one performs a frequency domain analysis based on the modal (eigenfrequency) solution. COMSOL has a predefined study type for this one that creates an eigenfrequency step and automatically links its output to the frequency domain step. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Posted: 1 decade ago 25.09.2013, 06:00 GMT-4
Sir, i am actually working on design of fbar. i needed to know how to find out the 3rd and the 4th harmonic frequency of the fbar designed
Sir, i am actually working on design of fbar. i needed to know how to find out the 3rd and the 4th harmonic frequency of the fbar designed

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago 29.09.2013, 19:03 GMT-4
That needs an eigenfrequency analysis.
That needs an eigenfrequency analysis.

Posted: 1 decade ago 07.10.2013, 07:45 GMT-4
sir, how to proceed further? i have done eigenfrequency analysis for finding fundamental mode frequency.
sir, how to proceed further? i have done eigenfrequency analysis for finding fundamental mode frequency.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.