Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Make my model infinite at one direction

Constantinos Tsangarides

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

In order to make my block having an infinite length in x-direction

(as it is a stripe of graphene and extends along its length to infinity)

Should I use some specific Boundary Condition??

2 Replies Last Post 25.06.2014, 08:26 GMT-4
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago 04.04.2013, 22:18 GMT-4
If your overall geometry is infinite in any particular direction, then in many cases, that direction can simply be dropped out of the problem entirely. For example, in 3D, if your problem space is infinite along x, and if the variables of interest to you have no dependencies upon x, then you really should be solving a 2D problem (in the y-z plane, in this example) instead.

Alternatively, if there does exist a dependence on x, but if that dependence is periodic, then you might be able to prepare a 3D problem with a finite extent along x, and use periodic boundary conditions on some end-faces perpendicular to x.

Finally, if there is a dependence on x, and it isn't periodic, but you still have infinite extent in x in your problem, then your approach will likely have to be customized to the specific physics in question - you may need to provide the readers here with additional information about your problem.

If your overall geometry is infinite in any particular direction, then in many cases, that direction can simply be dropped out of the problem entirely. For example, in 3D, if your problem space is infinite along x, and if the variables of interest to you have no dependencies upon x, then you really should be solving a 2D problem (in the y-z plane, in this example) instead. Alternatively, if there does exist a dependence on x, but if that dependence is periodic, then you might be able to prepare a 3D problem with a finite extent along x, and use periodic boundary conditions on some end-faces perpendicular to x. Finally, if there is a dependence on x, and it isn't periodic, but you still have infinite extent in x in your problem, then your approach will likely have to be customized to the specific physics in question - you may need to provide the readers here with additional information about your problem.

Posted: 1 decade ago 25.06.2014, 08:26 GMT-4
Hi All

I have similar problem in setting infinite length. My interest is to simulate elasticity problem in 3D for an infinitely long cylinder (Axis along Z direction).

I tried to set Periodic boundary conditions on top and bottom surfaces of the cylinder and do the simulation but displacements (U,V W) become dependent on the axial coordinate Z. I was expecting them to be independent of Z !

So.... are there other options in COMSOL to set the infinite length for 3D problem?

I didnt want to use the 2D modules due to the nature the problem .

Thanks,
H.
Hi All I have similar problem in setting infinite length. My interest is to simulate elasticity problem in 3D for an infinitely long cylinder (Axis along Z direction). I tried to set Periodic boundary conditions on top and bottom surfaces of the cylinder and do the simulation but displacements (U,V W) become dependent on the axial coordinate Z. I was expecting them to be independent of Z ! So.... are there other options in COMSOL to set the infinite length for 3D problem? I didnt want to use the 2D modules due to the nature the problem . Thanks, H.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.