Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Modelling of a permanent magnet

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone,

I want to see the magnetic field lines from a bar shaped permanent magnet. I have created a rectangle and surrounded it with the air domain i.e a bigger rectangle. I have the following doubts:-

a) Do I have to create a separate material for the permanent magnet?
b) If yes, What properties do I have to assign to the material?
c) I have selected the Magnetic field (w/o currents) tab in the menu for the simulation. However, I am not able to decide the settins that should be done in this option.

I am very new to COMSOL and hence, I would be grateful to anyone who can be of help.

Thanks,

Pankaj

1 Reply Last Post 30.03.2013, 15:42 GMT-4
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 30.03.2013, 15:42 GMT-4

Hi,

if you only want to see stream lines, you can just assign a new Ampere's law to the magnet domain and under the 'magnetic field' tab change the constitutive relation to 'Magnetization' and choose the magnetization vector.

For a nice streamline display you should choose appropriate start points.

Cheers
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
www.emphys.com
Hi, if you only want to see stream lines, you can just assign a new Ampere's law to the magnet domain and under the 'magnetic field' tab change the constitutive relation to 'Magnetization' and choose the magnetization vector. For a nice streamline display you should choose appropriate start points. Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser http://www.emphys.com

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.