Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Excavation process - time dependent

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
I am trying to model a real-time excavation of a borehole. Assuming that at the time t = 0, the drilling begins and at time t = 1 day, the tunnel advancement is 1 m (drilling velocity = 1m/day). Imagine that I build a cylindrical mesh inside a cubbic mesh. The outer surface of the cylinder is where the drilling is initiated. The drilling advancement is along the cylinder. What the boundary conditions I should use in the outer surface of the cylinder to simulate the drilling process? Thanks.

3 Replies Last Post 21.03.2013, 02:38 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 20.03.2013, 11:44 GMT-4
Hi,

do you know this model from the COMSOL "showroom"?

www.comsol.com/showroom/documentation/model/9747/

Even if you could not open it in case you do not have a license for the required modules, the documentation files are quite interesting. They explain how to implement a stepwise excavation advance using a parametrized geometry based on parameters from a parametric sweep.

Maybe this model and the according documentation are of interest for your problem?

Best regards,
Juergen

Hi, do you know this model from the COMSOL "showroom"? http://www.comsol.com/showroom/documentation/model/9747/ Even if you could not open it in case you do not have a license for the required modules, the documentation files are quite interesting. They explain how to implement a stepwise excavation advance using a parametrized geometry based on parameters from a parametric sweep. Maybe this model and the according documentation are of interest for your problem? Best regards, Juergen

Posted: 1 decade ago 20.03.2013, 11:49 GMT-4
I have looked through the example you gave me. The example is steady case but I want to expand to transient case. Other than that, the example is quite complex so I want to simplify it. Anyway, thanks for your suggestion.
I have looked through the example you gave me. The example is steady case but I want to expand to transient case. Other than that, the example is quite complex so I want to simplify it. Anyway, thanks for your suggestion.

Posted: 1 decade ago 21.03.2013, 02:38 GMT-4
Hi,

parametrized geometry also works in transient studies.
You can combine a parametric sweep and a transient solver.
I did some similar models quite a while ago.
The tricky thing in my case was to use the solution of the last parametric sweep step as initial values for the next parametric sweep step.

Best regards,
Juergen
Hi, parametrized geometry also works in transient studies. You can combine a parametric sweep and a transient solver. I did some similar models quite a while ago. The tricky thing in my case was to use the solution of the last parametric sweep step as initial values for the next parametric sweep step. Best regards, Juergen

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.