Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

helix with rectangular cross section 2

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I was following the thread re: helix with rectangular cross section and downloaded the file helix.mph.

By fudging the parametric values, I almost get what I need except the the major radius appears to be 1mm.

I need a major radius of 2.5mm but don't see how to adjust any of the parameters to get this.

Also, the resolution of the swept helix appears quite coarse.

If anyone in the forum can help to fix these two items, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Art

4 Replies Last Post 12.03.2013, 16:36 GMT-4
Sergei Yushanov Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago 12.03.2013, 08:18 GMT-4
Art,

Attached is helix with a major radius of 2.5mm.

“Quite coarse resolution” is just visualization effect – see mesh image where geometry is resolved quite well.

Regards,
Sergei
Art, Attached is helix with a major radius of 2.5mm. “Quite coarse resolution” is just visualization effect – see mesh image where geometry is resolved quite well. Regards, Sergei

Posted: 1 decade ago 12.03.2013, 12:41 GMT-4
Sergei,

Thanks for your response and the file, that's exactly what I needed. Question though: through trial and error, I figured out how to get a helix of 20mm length by tweaking the z expression (s*6.5) of the parametric curve.

I got what I wanted ( or close) but don't understand this relationship. Is there a better way to make the helix length variable in a way that will show a relationship for the length?

Thanks,

Art
Sergei, Thanks for your response and the file, that's exactly what I needed. Question though: through trial and error, I figured out how to get a helix of 20mm length by tweaking the z expression (s*6.5) of the parametric curve. I got what I wanted ( or close) but don't understand this relationship. Is there a better way to make the helix length variable in a way that will show a relationship for the length? Thanks, Art

Sergei Yushanov Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago 12.03.2013, 15:44 GMT-4
Atr,

Attached is helix with parametrized dimension of pitch length of 20mm.

Regards,
Sergei
Atr, Attached is helix with parametrized dimension of pitch length of 20mm. Regards, Sergei

Posted: 1 decade ago 12.03.2013, 16:36 GMT-4
Sergei,

Thanks again for your help. I see now how to set this up. Also, I am sure others will find this post very useful.

Best Regards,

Art
Sergei, Thanks again for your help. I see now how to set this up. Also, I am sure others will find this post very useful. Best Regards, Art

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.