Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Swept mesh and Grid independent results

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I want to know whether it is possible to swept a mesh along a direction that takes 90 degree turns (A square pulse in 3D). Also I am facing a problem with the mesh independent results. I am simulating a metalic structure having a geometry of a square pulse in 3D I am using tetrahedral elements with adaptive meshing which always tends to increase the number of elements at the corners (the connected points of the square pulse) however this always increases the von Mises stresses at these corners and therefore I cannot conclude any thing from the simulation (no mesh independent results). I am using solid stress-strain module in 3D.

Any suggestion.

Kindest regards

2 Replies Last Post 01.03.2013, 04:26 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 01.03.2013, 03:51 GMT-5
Hi

you have 2 issues, stress concentration at sharp corners, this is physical, and the fact that these get easily enhanced during FEM calculation particularly when the mesh density gets higher.

You should play with the different mesh parameters to adapt the way the mesh is refined.

For sweep mesh, you need to have parts that have similar topology along the lateral boundaries that are swept. To get around sharp corners you must split up your domain so the topology rule is respected. Then you must sometimes "convert" quad mes into tri to continue

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi you have 2 issues, stress concentration at sharp corners, this is physical, and the fact that these get easily enhanced during FEM calculation particularly when the mesh density gets higher. You should play with the different mesh parameters to adapt the way the mesh is refined. For sweep mesh, you need to have parts that have similar topology along the lateral boundaries that are swept. To get around sharp corners you must split up your domain so the topology rule is respected. Then you must sometimes "convert" quad mes into tri to continue -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 01.03.2013, 04:26 GMT-5
Many thanks for your suggestion Ivar.
Many thanks for your suggestion Ivar.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.