Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

voltage at different coordinates

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello every one.

it is possible in COMSOL to fine the voltage at (x,y,z) coordinates?

thank you

4 Replies Last Post 07.02.2013, 07:31 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 06.02.2013, 00:54 GMT-5
Hi

when you solve in EC for the Volts, you get a "filed" V(x,y,z) as results, see your plot. But the COMSOL convention is too drop the (x,y,z) and write only V. At the beginning I found it very confusing to distinguish a scalar, a field or an implicit function, with the time you get used to it.

When you plot the voltage over a domain you get V(x,y,z) shown

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi when you solve in EC for the Volts, you get a "filed" V(x,y,z) as results, see your plot. But the COMSOL convention is too drop the (x,y,z) and write only V. At the beginning I found it very confusing to distinguish a scalar, a field or an implicit function, with the time you get used to it. When you plot the voltage over a domain you get V(x,y,z) shown -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 07.02.2013, 00:12 GMT-5
thanks Ivar for the nice explanation,
I would like to ask one more thing i want to attach electrodes to my model and electrodes is in cylinderical shape. and the surface where i want to attach is not very smooth it has many curves, adding the electrode using Union operation. i check the Sub-domain and i go 2 sub-domains of that electrode, it is possible to add two sub-domain to 1? or how can i make 1 subdomain

Thanks
thanks Ivar for the nice explanation, I would like to ask one more thing i want to attach electrodes to my model and electrodes is in cylinderical shape. and the surface where i want to attach is not very smooth it has many curves, adding the electrode using Union operation. i check the Sub-domain and i go 2 sub-domains of that electrode, it is possible to add two sub-domain to 1? or how can i make 1 subdomain Thanks

Posted: 1 decade ago 07.02.2013, 00:12 GMT-5
thanks Ivar for the nice explanation,
I would like to ask one more thing i want to attach electrodes to my model and electrodes is in cylinderical shape. and the surface where i want to attach is not very smooth it has many curves, adding the electrode using Union operation. i check the Sub-domain and i go 2 sub-domains of that electrode, it is possible to add two sub-domain to 1? or how can i make 1 subdomain

Thanks
thanks Ivar for the nice explanation, I would like to ask one more thing i want to attach electrodes to my model and electrodes is in cylinderical shape. and the surface where i want to attach is not very smooth it has many curves, adding the electrode using Union operation. i check the Sub-domain and i go 2 sub-domains of that electrode, it is possible to add two sub-domain to 1? or how can i make 1 subdomain Thanks

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 07.02.2013, 07:31 GMT-5
Hi

by the way "sub-domains are called "only" Domains in V4.
Yes you can normally combine many domains, either with a union or a build solid or ... but personally I often split my domains, to make them easier to mesh, to select "internal" boundaries for flux or integration postprocessing operations, so normally there is no absolute need to group things.

Sometimes though COMSOL has problems with complex imported geoemtries, in fact I have noticed it arrives when we import "geometries" with some of the formats that do not consider volumes as such, but as grouped tesselated structures, such as DXF, STL, ... Then COMSOL might not manage to recreate a closed volume, or surface from the info received, or things get turned inside out, 3D topology is not trivial. Workaround, use some of the more "solid" 3D formats, such as PArasolid, STEP, or other propretarian Kernel formats

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi by the way "sub-domains are called "only" Domains in V4. Yes you can normally combine many domains, either with a union or a build solid or ... but personally I often split my domains, to make them easier to mesh, to select "internal" boundaries for flux or integration postprocessing operations, so normally there is no absolute need to group things. Sometimes though COMSOL has problems with complex imported geoemtries, in fact I have noticed it arrives when we import "geometries" with some of the formats that do not consider volumes as such, but as grouped tesselated structures, such as DXF, STL, ... Then COMSOL might not manage to recreate a closed volume, or surface from the info received, or things get turned inside out, 3D topology is not trivial. Workaround, use some of the more "solid" 3D formats, such as PArasolid, STEP, or other propretarian Kernel formats -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.