Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

What physics do I need to model clogging of a vein? (very similar to electrodeposition tutorial)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

If I have a species entering a vein at some velocity, how would I model the reaction with the surface and thereby build up of particles on the wall?

I know I need some mass transfer equation (let's say dilute species module) and I need laminar incompressible Navier stokes module.

What other modules/physics would I use to model the reaction with the wall and subsequent build up of particles
and
would I just use "moving mesh" module similar to electrodeposition module?

A list of suggested physics or examples would be of great help. This set-up should be very similar to the electrodeposition example

Thank you
Alex

3 Replies Last Post 03.10.2013, 17:36 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Alexander Warning

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago 01.10.2013, 05:00 GMT-4
Hey Alexander,

did you find a solution to your problem? I am interested in clogging of porous media / fractures by paricles.

all the best,
florian
Hey Alexander, did you find a solution to your problem? I am interested in clogging of porous media / fractures by paricles. all the best, florian

Posted: 1 decade ago 02.10.2013, 05:27 GMT-4
hi,

Am not very sure about that. But pls find the attachment. I hope it would be helpful for you.
Thanks
hi, Am not very sure about that. But pls find the attachment. I hope it would be helpful for you. Thanks

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago 03.10.2013, 17:36 GMT-4
You should use the Moving Mesh capability as in the electrodeposition example. You’ll see other examples of its use in the Microfluidics Module for two-phase flow. Regarding the species transport part, it’s hard to predict whether or not you may need more advanced capabilities beyond what’s available in the basic COMSOL package. That probably depends on the criteria for particle/plaque build-up.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
You should use the Moving Mesh capability as in the electrodeposition example. You’ll see other examples of its use in the Microfluidics Module for two-phase flow. Regarding the species transport part, it’s hard to predict whether or not you may need more advanced capabilities beyond what’s available in the basic COMSOL package. That probably depends on the criteria for particle/plaque build-up. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.