Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Clarification regarding Jacobian error

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

While modelling a cantilever beam with two layers using Piezoelectric devices model, I had to choose two materials. One from the same physics, i.e. PZT 5 A and the second material from a different physics- the mems materials, Poly Silicon.

While computing, the following error was given " the feature eigen value solver 1(sol1/e1) - error failed to evaluate variable Jacobian ."

When I retried the same with the materials from the same physics, such an error didn't occur.
This problem comes only when we take materials from different physics.

Hence kindly let me know how this can be solved.

2 Replies Last Post 04.02.2013, 10:36 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 04.02.2013, 09:58 GMT-5
Hi

could it be that some of the material parameters are T or pA dependent, and that neither T nor pA are defined ? or something similar. In doubt, create a Global Parameter T = 20[degC], pA = 1[atm] or what ever applies.
But it can be other parameters too ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi could it be that some of the material parameters are T or pA dependent, and that neither T nor pA are defined ? or something similar. In doubt, create a Global Parameter T = 20[degC], pA = 1[atm] or what ever applies. But it can be other parameters too ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Niklas Rom COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 04.02.2013, 10:36 GMT-5
I think Ivar is on the right track. In specific, it could be that after differentiation of a material model (which happens at the Jacobian computation), you end up with en expression that contains sqrt(-1) or division by zero or similar. Later versions of COMSOL have more specific error messages if you click "More" in the error message dialog box. So my advice is:
1) Update to the latest version 4.3a from www.comsol.com/support/download/
2) Use the More button and check the error log for details.

Niklas
I think Ivar is on the right track. In specific, it could be that after differentiation of a material model (which happens at the Jacobian computation), you end up with en expression that contains sqrt(-1) or division by zero or similar. Later versions of COMSOL have more specific error messages if you click "More" in the error message dialog box. So my advice is: 1) Update to the latest version 4.3a from http://www.comsol.com/support/download/ 2) Use the More button and check the error log for details. Niklas

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.