Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

piezoelectric potential due to a deformation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

hi,

an electric potential applied to a piezoelectric material will cause a deformation of the material. On the other hand a deformation of a piezoelectric material will end up in an electric potential. I'm interested in the latter case, which I will investigate in detail by using COMSOL.

Therefore I have taken a piezoelectric material (pieM) and on that material I put a bimetallic structure (bimS). First, I added an Structural Mechanics Module (SOLID), which is used to set up a thermal change. That will cause the deformation of the bimS and therefore a deformation of the pieM. But now I want to see the induced electric potential inside the pieM. So I added another physics module for piezoelectric devices (PZD). Inside of Piezoelectric Material I defined the "Initial Stress and Strain" by inserting the values for "initial stress" from SOLID in the following form:

S0=((solid.sx,solid.sxy,0)(solid.sxy,solid.sy,0)(0,0,solid.sz)) N/m²

Inside "Linear Elastic Material" I selected the non-piezoelectric bimS.

After computing I can take a look to the electric potential inside the pieM by using the expression "V". But it gives me only one potential for the whole structure. But I found the reason for that: Comsol takes the calculated induced electric potential which leads into an additional deformation. So, what should I do in order to make the induced potential visible and to forbid that this potential ends up in an additional deformation, which is shown up by COMSOL .

I hope that my description won't confuse too much, so that you can give me some hints.

Thanks a lot in advance!

EDIT:
Too make a long story short ;o)
How can I freeze the deformation of the module SOLID (SOLID2 in the file) in order to investigate the piezoelectric potential from module PZD?

2 Replies Last Post 11.11.2016, 05:52 GMT-5

Posted: 1 decade ago 04.02.2013, 03:05 GMT-5
Too make a long story short ;o)
How can I freeze the deformation of the module SOLID (SOLID2 in the file) in order to investigate the piezoelectric potential from module PZD?
Too make a long story short ;o) How can I freeze the deformation of the module SOLID (SOLID2 in the file) in order to investigate the piezoelectric potential from module PZD?

Muhammad Fahlesa Fatahilah

Posted: 8 years ago 11.11.2016, 05:52 GMT-5
Hi.

This tutorial (attached) maybe help you.
3 years left, in case maybe other people still need it.
Hi. This tutorial (attached) maybe help you. 3 years left, in case maybe other people still need it.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.