Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Free & Porous Fluid Flow -- Measure of mass flux

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi All,

I am attempting to model a stream bottom seepage collection device, but I getting some strange results.

I am starting out fairly simple with no lateral flow in the free fluid, and setting the BC's so that I have a vertical flow field. But my results show the velocity contours have local maxima along the stream bottom under the device. I was expecting the maxima to be near the outlet of the device as it is a considerable constriction.

Also, is there a way to measure the mass flux of fluid through a plane? I am trying to evaluate how much water is being captured by the device and how much fluid is going around.

Thanks,
John

2 Replies Last Post 28.01.2013, 17:50 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 28.01.2013, 14:04 GMT-5
Hi

your image looks like a constant value with some numerical noise on it, no ?

The total mass flux should be something as the integration over a given boundary * fluid density*velocity vector normal to the surface, the latter is either one of the vector Cartesian components for an x,y,z normal plane, or a combination of the scalar product of the surface normal and the velocity vector component (nx*u+ny*v*nz*w)

At least that is what I would try first, but be sure you have a good value for the velocity (dense enough mesh values for a good gradient resolution

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi your image looks like a constant value with some numerical noise on it, no ? The total mass flux should be something as the integration over a given boundary * fluid density*velocity vector normal to the surface, the latter is either one of the vector Cartesian components for an x,y,z normal plane, or a combination of the scalar product of the surface normal and the velocity vector component (nx*u+ny*v*nz*w) At least that is what I would try first, but be sure you have a good value for the velocity (dense enough mesh values for a good gradient resolution -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 28.01.2013, 17:50 GMT-5
Ah, yes. Thank you Ivar.
Ah, yes. Thank you Ivar.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.