Surface to surface radiation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I'm modeling inductive heating by a coil. In the model, a tantalum sample is placed in a graphite crucible. Some of the tantalum surfaces are opposite to those of the graphite crucible. Since the tantalum is hotter (1900K) than the graphite (1300K), I expect temperature gradients in the graphite, but calculations show an almost constant temperature.

A warning is displayed : Boundaries for which only the opposite side has well-defined material properties can be seen from a point computing the irradiation. This may be due to erroneous definition of the boundary radiation directions or the opacity of the adjacent domains. comp1.rad.Fbacksideu can be plotted to show the faces that see the opposite side of other boundaries.

This is not clear for me, the radiation directions seem to be OK. The heated pieces are under vacuum so I set the adjacent domain as "transparent"

Can anyone help me on this point ?

Thanks in advance

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.