Microwave LC Filter

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Trying to model microwave filter (superconducting). Need some ideas with steps for the mesh as nothing’s worked for me so far. Also need help in checking if the emw physics conditions are correct to observe the needed behaviour (image attached). The filter is made of distributed elements.

Edit 1:

Something that should work (last attached image). I set global size node at Finer, Free Tetrahedral 1 for main domain, with Size 1 sub node that uses custom element sizes of max: 100 μm & min: 0.1 μm, and Free tetrahedral 2 for outer hidden block that I have not included in the model file. Need someone to verify if the meshing is okay. Cannot submit new file as it is too large with mesh.

2 Replies Last Post 03.07.2024, 01:11 GMT-4

Posted: 1 day ago 02.07.2024, 08:37 GMT-4

Hello

If you do a search using the work microwave using the link for "models and application library" you will get numerous hits that may help you along. Perhaps this could be a starting point

https://www.comsol.com/model/coupled-line-bandpass-filter-12012

From what I saw in your model you do not have an airbox that surrounds your simulation so this is not helping. Look and read through many completed examples.

As for meshing, perhaps this would be a good case for a swept mesh. You could mesh the top layer of your traces using a triangular boundary mesh. You would then sweep that through the object. If you don't know what this means then look at some swept meshing files and video tutorials.

Hello If you do a search using the work microwave using the link for "models and application library" you will get numerous hits that may help you along. Perhaps this could be a starting point https://www.comsol.com/model/coupled-line-bandpass-filter-12012 From what I saw in your model you do not have an airbox that surrounds your simulation so this is not helping. Look and read through many completed examples. As for meshing, perhaps this would be a good case for a swept mesh. You could mesh the top layer of your traces using a triangular boundary mesh. You would then sweep that through the object. If you don't know what this means then look at some swept meshing files and video tutorials.

Posted: 17 hours ago 03.07.2024, 01:11 GMT-4
Updated: 13 hours ago 03.07.2024, 05:16 GMT-4

I have added the airbox. The mesh has been fairly done. But I get the Unifrom lumped port should be placed between two conductive boundaries - Feature: Lumped Port 2 & Lumped Port 1 when I run the study.

The application library example is good for understanding microstrip lines but I am working with CPW lines. So going through the CPW Bandpass filter model in the library, multielement uniform lumped ports were used. The confusion now is where do I implement multi element uniform lumped ports in the geometry and will I have the same 'Unifrom lumped port should be placed between two conductive boundaries' error.

I was able to remove the error for lumped port 1 by using multielement uniform type (adding two squares where required). Don't know how I can do the same for lport 2 considering surrounding geometry.

It is straightforward in this example: https://www.comsol.com/model/coplanar-waveguide-bandpass-filter-12099 but my lumped port 2 is at the end of many periodic edges.

I have added the airbox. The mesh has been fairly done. But I get the Unifrom lumped port should be placed between two conductive boundaries - Feature: Lumped Port 2 & Lumped Port 1 when I run the study. The application library example is good for understanding microstrip lines but I am working with CPW lines. So going through the CPW Bandpass filter model in the library, multielement uniform lumped ports were used. The confusion now is where do I implement multi element uniform lumped ports in the geometry and will I have the same 'Unifrom lumped port should be placed between two conductive boundaries' error. I was able to remove the error for lumped port 1 by using multielement uniform type (adding two squares where required). Don't know how I can do the same for lport 2 considering surrounding geometry. It is straightforward in this example: https://www.comsol.com/model/coplanar-waveguide-bandpass-filter-12099 but my lumped port 2 is at the end of many periodic edges.

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.