Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Problems with postprocessing in particle tracing

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I ran some simulations in the 4.2 version of COMSOL using fluids mechanics the particle tracing postprocessing module. When we updated to the 4.3a version, we began having problems visualizing the particle trajectories in the results menu. My goal was to obtain the residence time distribution of a fluid inside a tube with cavities.

I can visualize and obtain results from Poincare maps, residence time, transmission probability of particles and so on, but when I try to visualize the traces at first they appear inside the domain and as soon as I move the mouse they appear outside the domain.

Are the results of the residence time wrong? Do I have to refine the mesh even more? I can obtain accurate results of the velocity and pressure with only 400000 elements, and right now I am on the limit using 1500000 that consumes 12 Gb of memory RAM. The results of the residence time look reasonable, but I wonder if this a vizualization problem or if my mesh is not small enough.

Thanks

1 Reply Last Post 18.07.2014, 22:06 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello John R Puentes

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 18.07.2014, 22:06 GMT-4
HI John,
Im a newbie in COMSOL. I had problem n ploting the residence time plot. I have added the auxillary variable set R=1 and computed the time dependent study. Now how do I get the residence time. Could you help me in giving the steps like how to proceed. I would be really grateful.

Thanks.
HI John, Im a newbie in COMSOL. I had problem n ploting the residence time plot. I have added the auxillary variable set R=1 and computed the time dependent study. Now how do I get the residence time. Could you help me in giving the steps like how to proceed. I would be really grateful. Thanks.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.