Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

About impedance measurement

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,
I am going to build up a model of Piezo and two others(pmma & Ti) materials (Frequency Domain Study) using Comsol 4.3a acoustics module. But I can't find out the impedance of piezo transducer. How is it possible to find the impedance of piezo? Can anybody give me some idea?

Thnx
Bhuyan

2 Replies Last Post 07.06.2013, 04:43 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 08.01.2013, 10:57 GMT-5
Hello!

You might get further using the acoustic-structure interaction option, I suggest that you take a look at the tutorial model found under Model Library ->Structural Mechanics module -> Acoustic-Structure interaction. There are some other piezo models available.

From there you might be able to experiment your way towards the impedance, I suspect it is a matter of post processing. You get some standard results like pressure and SPL from the acoustics module but you can find many other types of result like acceleration and Intensity, but not impedance explicitly. You can however find the impedance of an object by the relation that Z(w) = F(w)/v(w) where w is your angular frequency, F is force and v is the velocity. This however implies that you have a known (harmonic) force input somewhere.

If you are driving your piezo with an AC voltage you should see a mechanical vibration (harmonic force) output. This should also work the other way around i.e. if you have an harmonic force input to your device you should see a voltage developing over the electrodes of the piezo device.
Hello! You might get further using the acoustic-structure interaction option, I suggest that you take a look at the tutorial model found under Model Library ->Structural Mechanics module -> Acoustic-Structure interaction. There are some other piezo models available. From there you might be able to experiment your way towards the impedance, I suspect it is a matter of post processing. You get some standard results like pressure and SPL from the acoustics module but you can find many other types of result like acceleration and Intensity, but not impedance explicitly. You can however find the impedance of an object by the relation that Z(w) = F(w)/v(w) where w is your angular frequency, F is force and v is the velocity. This however implies that you have a known (harmonic) force input somewhere. If you are driving your piezo with an AC voltage you should see a mechanical vibration (harmonic force) output. This should also work the other way around i.e. if you have an harmonic force input to your device you should see a voltage developing over the electrodes of the piezo device.

Posted: 1 decade ago 07.06.2013, 04:43 GMT-4
Hi,

just have a look to model tutorial MEMs module > piezoelectric devices > composite transducer.

you can then change material and geometry depending on your case

Safia

Hi, just have a look to model tutorial MEMs module > piezoelectric devices > composite transducer. you can then change material and geometry depending on your case Safia

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.