Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Error while solving Joule heating: mesh-case 0 there are 665 void equations (empty rows in matrix) for the variable mod1.V

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I tried to simulate joule heating in a copper cylindrical wire with an cylindrical air-void in it. But I am getting following error:

Failed to find a solution.
Singular matrix.

For mesh-case 0 there are 665 void equations (empty rows in matrix) for the variable mod1.V
at coordinates: (1.2,-0.7,2), (1.18384,-0.573893,2), (1.13639,-0.455939,2), (1.13771,-0.941685,2), (1.18418,-0.824792,2), ...
and similarly for the degrees of freedom (empty columns in matrix)
Returned solution is not converged.

I saw similar posts, but couldn't simulate my model still; the model is attached herewith.

Observation: If I take the difference of these two cylinders and remove the air material (i.e. the final geometry would have just the copper wire with a groove), COMSOL is able to solve it. But, I need to simulate the air void too. In one case, I would also like to have the small cylindrical air-void completely inside the bigger cylinder.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kapil

4 Replies Last Post 07.02.2014, 11:57 GMT-5

Posted: 1 decade ago 20.12.2012, 12:18 GMT-5
Sorry, forgot to attach the model. Here it is
Sorry, forgot to attach the model. Here it is

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 20.12.2012, 14:30 GMT-5
Hi

What do you mean you need to simulate the "air void" as air is no solid, and you have no joule heating in air as you have defined no conduction, it's not bringing you anything.

The easiest is to define your copper only ,and add a Convective cooling boundary on all surfaces, including your notch.

Now if you are saying your air volume is closed and you want the heat flow in there, of the air you need to use the correct fluid heat flow model , to take into account conduction as well as mass transport, that is possible with other physics (Conjugated heat flow, or heat flow in fluids, but it's far heavier to use

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi What do you mean you need to simulate the "air void" as air is no solid, and you have no joule heating in air as you have defined no conduction, it's not bringing you anything. The easiest is to define your copper only ,and add a Convective cooling boundary on all surfaces, including your notch. Now if you are saying your air volume is closed and you want the heat flow in there, of the air you need to use the correct fluid heat flow model , to take into account conduction as well as mass transport, that is possible with other physics (Conjugated heat flow, or heat flow in fluids, but it's far heavier to use -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 07.11.2013, 15:03 GMT-5
Tip: Make sure that all thermal & electrical conductivities are set to non-zero values. Use some small numbers if the default is zero.
Tip: Make sure that all thermal & electrical conductivities are set to non-zero values. Use some small numbers if the default is zero.

Posted: 1 decade ago 07.02.2014, 11:57 GMT-5

this was very helpful to me thank you very much
any idea why this "void" error happens for values of "0"?

[QUOTE] Tip: Make sure that all thermal & electrical conductivities are set to non-zero values. Use some small numbers if the default is zero. [/QUOTE] this was very helpful to me thank you very much any idea why this "void" error happens for values of "0"?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.