Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Demagnetizing field

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone,

my goal is to observe the magnetic flux density in a gap of a toroid.
I started with 2D at the beginning and was able to simulate my experimental setup. The destribution of my field seems to be in consent with the expectations. The only problem are my values they doesnt coincide with my experimental values.

Simulation: B=220mT
Experimental setup: B=180mT

both values near saturation.
A smal part of the difference should come from the heating of my coil. The biggest part would be the demagnetizing field from the dipole generated by the magnetization in my core.

So how do I include the demagnetizing field in my simulation?

In the file attached is my model.

Best wishes,
Andreas Schneider

1 Reply Last Post 05.11.2012, 10:26 GMT-5

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 05.11.2012, 10:26 GMT-5
Andreas,

you should consider that your 2D model is not exactly a toroid but rather an infinitely long cylinder. This could account for a larger field in the model because along the z-direction there are no fringing fields as you have them in your lab setup.

Cheers
Edgar
Andreas, you should consider that your 2D model is not exactly a toroid but rather an infinitely long cylinder. This could account for a larger field in the model because along the z-direction there are no fringing fields as you have them in your lab setup. Cheers Edgar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.