Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How can I get the field distribution after the incident wave is subtracted?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello!

I have a question need your help. I calculate a grating model in comsol4.3, and is illuminated at normal incidence with a TM-polarized plane wave. There question is how can I get the distribution of the reflected field? Generally, field intensity distribution contains both incident wave and reflected wave after simulation. How can I get the field distribution after the incident wave is subtracted. For example, if I want get the H-field intensity distribution of reflect wave , How to do it?

4 Replies Last Post 02.10.2014, 02:48 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 26.10.2012, 12:56 GMT-4
As you said, just subtract the incident. If you are not sure what your incident wave is :), just replace all your materials with air and run the simulations. It should produce incident wave only.
As you said, just subtract the incident. If you are not sure what your incident wave is :), just replace all your materials with air and run the simulations. It should produce incident wave only.

Posted: 1 decade ago 26.10.2012, 23:45 GMT-4

Thanks!
Maybe this is a way for me to get reflection wave by simulation field distribution both have grating and no grating, then take have grating field subtract the incident wave. But there is a tremendous of the export simulated data. When I use matlab processing data. Out of memory is happen. This is a reason why I want get the field distritution in comsol in direct.
[QUOTE] As you said, just subtract the incident. If you are not sure what your incident wave is :), just replace all your materials with air and run the simulations. It should produce incident wave only. [/QUOTE] Thanks! Maybe this is a way for me to get reflection wave by simulation field distribution both have grating and no grating, then take have grating field subtract the incident wave. But there is a tremendous of the export simulated data. When I use matlab processing data. Out of memory is happen. This is a reason why I want get the field distritution in comsol in direct.

Posted: 10 years ago 02.10.2014, 02:22 GMT-4
Hi! I encounter the same question as you before. I am simulating a model: FP cavity with dielectric inside, is surrounded by botom Ag layer(250nm in thickness) and top Ag film with grating. The light is illuminated on grating and and reflection is needed. How can I solver it directly.
Can you give me some suggestions? Thanks!

Best!
Frank
Hi! I encounter the same question as you before. I am simulating a model: FP cavity with dielectric inside, is surrounded by botom Ag layer(250nm in thickness) and top Ag film with grating. The light is illuminated on grating and and reflection is needed. How can I solver it directly. Can you give me some suggestions? Thanks! Best! Frank

Posted: 10 years ago 02.10.2014, 02:48 GMT-4
Plot "relative electric field"--emw.relEx emw.relEy may help. That's my understanding. I treat "relative field" as scattered field.
Plot "relative electric field"--emw.relEx emw.relEy may help. That's my understanding. I treat "relative field" as scattered field.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.