Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Boundary condition coordinate system in 3D CFD model

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi Folks,

I would like to change the coordinate system for the velocity of a sliding wall boundary condition in a 3D CFD model (in COMSOL 4.3).

Thanks,
Tim

3 Replies Last Post 07.12.2012, 03:00 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 03.10.2012, 02:55 GMT-4
Hi

COMSOL works only in cartesian (and 2D-axi) but you can add your own coordinate systems, and many BC or domain physics properties will then propose to select the desired intput coordinate system to refer to.

But for the postprocessing everything is in cartesian, so you must type out the equations, or use your Defined coordinate system to reexpress the variables the way you want them

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi COMSOL works only in cartesian (and 2D-axi) but you can add your own coordinate systems, and many BC or domain physics properties will then propose to select the desired intput coordinate system to refer to. But for the postprocessing everything is in cartesian, so you must type out the equations, or use your Defined coordinate system to reexpress the variables the way you want them -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 07.12.2012, 01:39 GMT-5
Hi Ivar,

Because of COMSOL works in Cartesian coordinate, so the user-defined variables have to be in Cartesian coordinate even if i am working on a half-ellipse in a 2D axi study, is it?

Thanks!
Hi Ivar, Because of COMSOL works in Cartesian coordinate, so the user-defined variables have to be in Cartesian coordinate even if i am working on a half-ellipse in a 2D axi study, is it? Thanks!

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 07.12.2012, 03:00 GMT-5
Hi

I would say yes and no ;) you can define your own "Definitions" coordinate systems, but indeed you need to get down to the COMSOL coordinates at least, and back to yours in the results section

Check the equations and new variables to help you from the user defined coordinate systems

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I would say yes and no ;) you can define your own "Definitions" coordinate systems, but indeed you need to get down to the COMSOL coordinates at least, and back to yours in the results section Check the equations and new variables to help you from the user defined coordinate systems -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.