Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Topology optimization of bone plates

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello!

Could you help me with the following problem, please? I'm trying to perform topology optimization of steel plates used for internal fixation of bone fractures. Typical geometry is rectangular plate with several circular holes for bone screws used for attachment of the plate onto the bone. Objective of optimization is to find lightweight design of plate (with prescribed reduction of mass, e.g. 50 %) with minimized compliance. I use 2D model. During optimization shape of external rectangular boundary can be deformed and new holes (i.e. changes in topology) can be introduced, but circular holes should retain their shape and positions (geometric contraints). During creation of the model I have faced with the following problems: 1. Adequate representation of geometry. As I understand, I should use rectangular optimization domain with circular subdomains (representing holes) described as "Prescribed Voids". Is it OK to use boolean subtraction of circular areas from rectangle with keeping of input objects? (This operation results in perforated rectangle and circular areas) 2. Representation of geometric constraints. How to retain circular shape of the holes (suppress their deformation) during optimization? 3. Adequate meshing. As I understand, entire optimization domain (including prescribed voids) should be meshed?

Thank you in advance for any ideas!

Best regards, Dmitry.

2 Replies Last Post 16.02.2023, 02:59 GMT-5
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 year ago 15.02.2023, 09:10 GMT-5

Hi Dmitry,

This blog post should help you get started. Note that this type of work requires the optional Optimization Module.

Best,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hi Dmitry, [This blog post](https://www.comsol.com/blogs/performing-topology-optimization-with-the-density-method/) should help you get started. Note that this type of work requires the optional Optimization Module. Best, Jeff

Posted: 1 year ago 16.02.2023, 02:59 GMT-5

Thank you, Jeff!

This example was really useful. I have surrounded holes in my initial design with annular areas of "Prescribed Material" and the model works well now.

Best regards, Dmitry.

Thank you, Jeff! This example was really useful. I have surrounded holes in my initial design with annular areas of "Prescribed Material" and the model works well now. Best regards, Dmitry.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.