Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Reflection of flexural waves in a structure

Neal Connor Acoustics

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am trying to model the propation of flexural waves in a 2D rectangular beam with decreasing thickness and the effect that different profiles of thickness have on the reflection of these waves, for my university project. So far, I have been able to design the structure using the geometry tools and apply boundary conditions and the size and type of mesh, but as I am only a beginner at using COMSOL I am finiding it rather tricky to model the propagation of these waves and to calculate the reflection, I am currently using version 6.0 for my simulations. I have tried introducing a point of excitation to the model to try to include a source of the flexural waves but I am unsure whether this is correct.

Physics Selected: * Acoustics > Elastic Waves > Solid Mechanics (Elastic Waves)

Study: * Frequency Domain

Frequency: * 10Hz to 10kHz

I have uploaded the geometry of one of my plates with the boundary conditions and the mesh parameters already chosen. I would be grateful for any suggestions to what I should do to model the propagation and to find the reflection of these flexural waves.

Thank you.

3 Replies Last Post 14.02.2023, 11:21 GMT-5
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 year ago 13.02.2023, 15:42 GMT-5

Neal,

the setup looks good and you can add e.g. a boundary load or a prescribed displacement somewhere to excite the structure. The frequency domain study shows you the vibration pattern in the dynamic steady state, i.e. after a long time of excitation. If you want to see the propagation and reflection of a certain disturbance you would need to run a time dependent study.

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Neal, the setup looks good and you can add e.g. a boundary load or a prescribed displacement somewhere to excite the structure. The frequency domain study shows you the vibration pattern in the dynamic steady state, i.e. after a long time of excitation. If you want to see the propagation and reflection of a certain disturbance you would need to run a time dependent study. Cheers Edgar

Neal Connor Acoustics

Posted: 1 year ago 14.02.2023, 07:27 GMT-5

Hi Edgar,

Thank you for your response, how would the reflection of a disturbance be done in a time dependent study. Would I have to use point probes at either end.

Hi Edgar, Thank you for your response, how would the reflection of a disturbance be done in a time dependent study. Would I have to use point probes at either end.

Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 year ago 14.02.2023, 11:21 GMT-5

Sure, point probes may be an option. It depends on the question you have to the model.

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Sure, point probes may be an option. It depends on the question you have to the model.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.