Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

2D Silicon BARITT diode (p-n-p junction)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello, I'm trying to simulate the behavior of a 2D silicon Baritt diode (p-n-p junction) under applied voltage. The diode is composed mainly by three parts: a n-doped substrate with Nd=1e14 cm^-3 and two separate p-doped layers deposited on the top of the substrate with an acceptor concentration of Na=1e20 cm^-3. I followed the explained example of Comsol for a 2D p-n junction, so as physic domain I considered a Trap-Assisted Recombination where the lifetime is taken by the material. Additionally I added two Ohmic Metal Contacts boundaries at the side of the p-doped regions. I obtained the following error:

"Failed to find a solution for the initial parameter. Maximum number of Newton iterations reached. Returned solution is not converged. Not all parameter steps returned."

Under: Study1 -> Solver Configuration -> Stationary Solver1 I increased the Relative Tolerance to 1E-5

Under: Study1 -> Solver Configuration -> Stationary Solver1 -> Fully Coupled1 I used as NonLinear Method= Automatic (Newton) and I increased the Maximum number of iterations to 1000.

Finally I also tried to increased the finesse of my mesh but I still get the same error. However if I reduce both doping concentration the error desappear. I attached here a copy of my simulation. Can anyone help me to figure out the origin of such error and how to solve it? Thanks in advance.

0 Replies Last Post 07.12.2022, 09:59 GMT-5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Santo Santonocito

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.