Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Moving mesh - Particle moving through fluid

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Fellow COMSOL enthusiasts,

I am trying to get familiar with COMSOLs moving mesh feature, starting with a really simple example: a particle moving through fluid (e.g. Stokes flow around a sphere). Normally one would of course keep the particle fixed, but I am curious how to implement this the other way around, using a moving mesh.

Any suggestions on how to do this in COMSOL?

Attached you will find two files:

1) Stokes_flow_around_cylinder.mph
This is with the particle held fixed (minor detail: it is actually a 2D cylinder rather than a sphere).
Only laminar flow is used here, combined with a stationary solver.

2) Moving_mesh.mph
My attempt on the moving mesh.
Laminar flow and moving mesh (ale) are used here, combined with a time dependent solver.

But... the fluid velocity remains zero everywhere! Shouldn't the no slip condition at the particle-fluid interface induce a velocity in the fluid?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

1 Reply Last Post 27.08.2013, 17:01 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Tom Wilms

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 27.08.2013, 17:01 GMT-4
Hi Tom,

Have you figured out how to do this? I am very interested as I am trying to solve a very similar problem.
Hi Tom, Have you figured out how to do this? I am very interested as I am trying to solve a very similar problem.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.