Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

State-Space reduction

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello, I have a quick question, Is it possible to perform State-Space reduction in COMSOL and export the matrix? Thank You

4 Replies Last Post 09.11.2022, 14:52 GMT-5
Remi Magnard COMSOL Employee

Posted: 2 years ago 08.11.2022, 02:44 GMT-5
Updated: 2 years ago 08.11.2022, 03:40 GMT-5

Hi,

you have two options to export your COMSOL model to a state-space system: add a State Space node in the solver configuration or create a modal reduced-order model (ROM).

Which one to use depends on the problem you want to solve. I would recommend you to use a ROM as you have full control on the reduction; however, it requires that the physics interface supports an eigenvalue/eigenfrequency study. The first option (using a State Space node) can be used for any physics interface but does not provide any reduction; the size of the exported system is the same as the full model.

To extract the matrices either use a Matrix Evaluation node in the Model Builder or use LiveLink for MATLAB to extract them at the MATLAB prompt. To read more about state-space systems, I can recommend you to look at the COMSOL Multiphysics Reference Manual and the LiveLink for MATLAB User's Guide.

I hope this will help!

Hi, you have two options to export your COMSOL model to a state-space system: add a State Space node in the solver configuration or create a modal reduced-order model (ROM). Which one to use depends on the problem you want to solve. I would recommend you to use a ROM as you have full control on the reduction; however, it requires that the physics interface supports an eigenvalue/eigenfrequency study. The first option (using a State Space node) can be used for any physics interface but does not provide any reduction; the size of the exported system is the same as the full model. To extract the matrices either use a Matrix Evaluation node in the Model Builder or use LiveLink for MATLAB to extract them at the MATLAB prompt. To read more about state-space systems, I can recommend you to look at the COMSOL Multiphysics Reference Manual and the LiveLink for MATLAB User's Guide. I hope this will help!

Posted: 2 years ago 08.11.2022, 14:10 GMT-5

Thank You Remi, I am using heat transfer in solid pysics, just to confirm, if i use ROM, will I be able to export the matrices from the reduced model?

Thank You Remi, I am using heat transfer in solid pysics, just to confirm, if i use ROM, will I be able to export the matrices from the reduced model?

Remi Magnard COMSOL Employee

Posted: 2 years ago 09.11.2022, 03:03 GMT-5

Yes, with the Heat Transfer module you can compute eigenvalue for heat transfer in solid, and so generate a modal reduced model to extract state-space matrices.

Yes, with the Heat Transfer module you can compute eigenvalue for heat transfer in solid, and so generate a modal reduced model to extract state-space matrices.

Posted: 2 years ago 09.11.2022, 14:52 GMT-5

Thank you Remi.

Thank you Remi.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.