Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Diagnosis of E-field artifacts at periodic boundarires

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello people, another question.

Every now and then when i simulate something (antenna for example) in a system with periodic boundaries, I will see large E-fields at the boundary where they shouldn't be. It seems to be an artifact of the simulation. I tried improving the mesh quality near the boundary in order to decrease the coupling with the rest of the domain but I don't see a quick solution. Has anyone encountered this before and do you know what might solve this problem?

1 Reply Last Post 07.06.2022, 10:35 GMT-4
Magnus Olsson COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 2 years ago 07.06.2022, 10:35 GMT-4
Updated: 2 years ago 07.06.2022, 10:37 GMT-4

Hi Robert,

For electromagnetic formulations using curl (vector/Nedelec) elements, periodic conditions and assembly pair boundary conditions require conforming meshes on the source and destination sides to guarantee numerical stability. Without it, you are bound to get spurious effects and unreliable results. In COMSOL, the physics controlled meshing imposes this by a copy mesh operation on the face level (before meshing the interior). However, if you build a custom mesh, you need to take care of that yourself.

Best regards,

-------------------
Magnus
Hi Robert, For electromagnetic formulations using curl (vector/Nedelec) elements, periodic conditions and assembly pair boundary conditions require conforming meshes on the source and destination sides to guarantee numerical stability. Without it, you are bound to get spurious effects and unreliable results. In COMSOL, the physics controlled meshing imposes this by a copy mesh operation on the face level (before meshing the interior). However, if you build a custom mesh, you need to take care of that yourself. Best regards,

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.