Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Max. Von Misses stesses do not match.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am using COMSOL 4.2a version. I am investigating a simple compression problem on pillars. My aim is to find a maximum stress. This is the following procedure I used looking for the maximum stress.

Definitions-->Model Couplings-->Maximum-->Specify boundaries of interest

Then when the solution is obtained:

Derived Values-->Global Evaluation-->maxop1(solid.mises)

The problem is that the value obtained using the above method does not match the maximum value that I read from the COMSOL Von Mises Stress plot.

Now I am confused which is correct. For example the Von Mises stress plot gives me 2.7MPa, while the maxop1(solid.mises) gives me 3.3MPa. As you can see the difference is substantial.

Thank you for your help
Mantas

2 Replies Last Post 10.08.2012, 11:28 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 10.08.2012, 11:16 GMT-4
Hi

it is always delicate to study stress values, as often these are maximum very locally at some numerical singularities, therefore you should analyse in detail where these maximum are and their shape, plots are often smoothed by 2nd or higher order polynomials, maxop() might be too but with another order, this can easily give large differences.

I usually use average values in critical regions the be sure I'm not getting a peak stress value for only one node/mesh element that most probably comes from a numerical issue. And I compare the see how sensitive this value is w.r.t. my local mesh density

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi it is always delicate to study stress values, as often these are maximum very locally at some numerical singularities, therefore you should analyse in detail where these maximum are and their shape, plots are often smoothed by 2nd or higher order polynomials, maxop() might be too but with another order, this can easily give large differences. I usually use average values in critical regions the be sure I'm not getting a peak stress value for only one node/mesh element that most probably comes from a numerical issue. And I compare the see how sensitive this value is w.r.t. my local mesh density -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 10.08.2012, 11:28 GMT-4
Hello Ivar,

Thank you for your quick repsonse. I will try using your suggestion to calculate average values at high stress concentration sites. This should smoothen the values.

Thank you
Mantas
Hello Ivar, Thank you for your quick repsonse. I will try using your suggestion to calculate average values at high stress concentration sites. This should smoothen the values. Thank you Mantas

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.