Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Is there a way to extend the simulation time and continue after a calculation is finished?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi

I'm running some jobs with COMSOL 5.6 and after the calculation finished, I found that the results are not enough for me to draw useful conclusions. I need the model to run a longer time. So I'm wondering is there a way that could allow me to extend the total simulation time and continue the job where it finished?

Best wishes

2 Replies Last Post 11.05.2022, 08:40 GMT-4
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 2 years ago 10.05.2022, 13:54 GMT-4

Hi,

unfortunately you cannot continue a finished time dependent study. It can be continued if it is stopped before it finishes and you can change the final time in this case. It would be very useful to have the option for a finished study as well, but for some unknown reason this hasn't been made available so far. However, you can set up a second study and use the result of the first study to start with. The second study starts at the final time of the first study. You can join the two datasets later. I used this workaround a few times. You may note some discontinuity at the time interface. Maybe it works with another study step as well but I haven't tried that.

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Hi, unfortunately you cannot continue a finished time dependent study. It can be continued if it is stopped before it finishes and you can change the final time in this case. It would be very useful to have the option for a finished study as well, but for some unknown reason this hasn't been made available so far. However, you can set up a second study and use the result of the first study to start with. The second study starts at the final time of the first study. You can join the two datasets later. I used this workaround a few times. You may note some discontinuity at the time interface. Maybe it works with another study step as well but I haven't tried that. Cheers Edgar

Posted: 2 years ago 11.05.2022, 08:40 GMT-4

okay, I see. Thank you for your reply!

okay, I see. Thank you for your reply!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.