Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Grounding electrode impedance calculation with the effect of soil ionization

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello, I am trying to model a circular grounding electrode and find its impedance including the effect of soil ionization, at various frequencies from few Hz to MHz. I am currently using the AC/DC module / electric currents, working in 3d geometry. The ground is modeled as a big cube and the conductor is at the middle. The 4 sides parallel to the length of the conductor are set as grounds. In one of the two circular sides of the electrode, I use the "terminal" option to set a current = 1A. This way, I can use global evaluation to get the impedance. The ohmic part of the impedance value is the same for all frequencies, which is incorrect. They should change depending on the frequency. I have also considered using the mf module and evaluate the impedance as the triple integral of ( i * 2 * pi * freq * (ec.Jez Az) ) but this gives me tiny results E-15 and I cannot set the sides of the cube as grounds.

Please suggest to me the correct way to model this.

1 Reply Last Post 02.08.2022, 01:16 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Stavros Filippidis

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 2 years ago 02.08.2022, 01:16 GMT-4
Updated: 2 years ago 02.08.2022, 01:18 GMT-4

Hello Stavros, I have the same problem and I am wondering if you can find a solution to it? I hope you can help me. Thanks in advance Wejdan Ibrahem

Hello Stavros, I have the same problem and I am wondering if you can find a solution to it? I hope you can help me. Thanks in advance Wejdan Ibrahem

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.