Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Drude-lorentz dispersion model disparities

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, I'm working on a model for calculating optical cross sections and have run into a weird result. As a beginning test I have based the model on the "Optical Scattering off a Gold Nanosphere" - model found in the application library with slight adjustment so that the diameter is 100 nm.

I have done two different dispersion models of the gold sphere. The first is using refractive index values from the built-in "Rakić et al lorentz-drude model" (application library model uses Brendel-Bormann).

The second was using a seperate electric wave equation for the sphere domain with the lorentz-drude values from the Rakić et al(1998) paper entered in the comsol model (converted to proper units).

The first result is in accordance with Mie-theory while the one using comsol's Drude-Lorentz dispersion model has a unexpected redshift. (see figures)

Can anyone help me shed some light at what might've caused this?

0 Replies Last Post 12.01.2022, 07:41 GMT-5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Ørjan Halvorsen

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.