Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Finding contact stress at the interface of contact pair

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am trying to plot the contact stress variation at the interface of contact pair. In the line graph on the y-axis, I write the expression 'solid2.Tn' and on the x-axis take the 'Z' expression for a 2D axisymmetric tube problem. When I plot then it shows error-

Undefined variable. - Variable: comp1.solid2.Tn - Geometry: geom1 - Boundary: 8 Failed to evaluate expression. - Expression: comp1.solid2.Tn - Plot: Line Graph 1

What are the methods to find out the variation of contact stress at the interface of the contact pair? Thanks

6 Replies Last Post 07.01.2022, 09:25 GMT-5
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 3 years ago 03.01.2022, 03:28 GMT-5

It may be so that you have selected the source side of the contact pair. The contact pressure is defined on the destination side.

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
It may be so that you have selected the source side of the contact pair. The contact pressure is defined on the destination side.

Posted: 3 years ago 03.01.2022, 05:50 GMT-5

Yes, Thanks I find it but if I want to plot the contact pressure on the source boundary at the interface then what will be the method? it is the case of plastic deformation at the contact interface.

Yes, Thanks I find it but if I want to plot the contact pressure on the source boundary at the interface then what will be the method? it is the case of plastic deformation at the contact interface.

Posted: 3 years ago 03.01.2022, 08:59 GMT-5
Updated: 3 years ago 03.01.2022, 08:59 GMT-5

You can use the variable for the stress in the normal direction. It is computed from the stress tensor in the element, not from the contact variables. It is available on all boundaries. The variable name is solid.stn (or in your case: solid2.stn).

As an alternative, you can map the contact pressure from the destination side to the source side, using an expression like dst2src_p1(solid2.Tn). Here, "_p1" refers to the pair name.

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
You can use the variable for the stress in the normal direction. It is computed from the stress tensor in the element, not from the contact variables. It is available on all boundaries. The variable name is *solid.stn* (or in your case: *solid2.stn*). As an alternative, you can map the contact pressure from the destination side to the source side, using an expression like *dst2src\_p1(solid2.Tn)*. Here, "\_*p1*" refers to the pair name.

Posted: 3 years ago 04.01.2022, 04:47 GMT-5

Thanks for your suggestions, I tried but expression dst2src_p1(solid2.Tn) giving 0 value in the graph on source boundary but I get correct value for solid2.Tn on destination boundary. solid.stn giving the value of normal stress which is different from the contact pressure plot. Thanks

Thanks for your suggestions, I tried but expression dst2src_p1(solid2.Tn) giving 0 value in the graph on source boundary but I get correct value for solid2.Tn on destination boundary. solid.stn giving the value of normal stress which is different from the contact pressure plot. Thanks

Posted: 3 years ago 04.01.2022, 10:23 GMT-5

The solid.stn value (or, to be more exact, -solid.stn) will not be identical to the contact pressure since they are based on different types of evaluations. They will however converge to each other if the mesh is refined. A large difference would indicate an underresolved model.

There is one subtle difference: If the strains are large, you will see the effect that the contact pressure is measured per undeformed area, while solid.stn is measured per deformed area.

Note that the stress solid.stn is formed from the stress tensor used in any nonlinear constitutive model (since you mentioned plasticity).

Why you got a zero value when using the mapping operator is difficult to guess.

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
The *solid.stn* value (or, to be more exact, *-solid.stn*) will not be identical to the contact pressure since they are based on different types of evaluations. They will however converge to each other if the mesh is refined. A large difference would indicate an underresolved model. There is one subtle difference: If the strains are large, you will see the effect that the contact pressure is measured per undeformed area, while *solid.stn* is measured per deformed area. Note that the stress *solid.stn* is formed from the stress tensor used in any nonlinear constitutive model (since you mentioned plasticity). Why you got a zero value when using the mapping operator is difficult to guess.

Posted: 3 years ago 07.01.2022, 09:25 GMT-5

Thanks, after some modification I get the right answers using dst2src_p1(solid2.Tn) for the contact stress at the source boundary also. Thanks for your suggestions.

Thanks, after some modification I get the right answers using dst2src_p1(solid2.Tn) for the contact stress at the source boundary also. Thanks for your suggestions.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.