Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Bimorph bending due to anisotropic thermal expansion

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi there,

I meet an issue while dealing with the bimorph bending due to anisotropic thermal expansion.

I have top and bottom films bonded together. Both layers are linear elastic material with the same modulus, Poisson ratio, and density, except that the top one has an anisotropic thermal expansion in three directions and the bottom one does not possess a thermal expansion property.

The issue is that, when I fixed one end (left) and set a temperature in a stationary study, the bending was not as expected. The output is expected to be an arc (red in the attached image) instead of the deformed shape shown in the attached image. It seems the right end is confined in the z-direction.

I will appreciate your help and suggestions very much!

Xiao

4 Replies Last Post 10.12.2021, 01:02 GMT-5
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 3 years ago 08.12.2021, 02:26 GMT-5
Updated: 3 years ago 08.12.2021, 02:30 GMT-5

Probable cause: The analysis is geometrically linear.

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL

Posted: 3 years ago 08.12.2021, 10:17 GMT-5

Hi Henrik,

Thank you very much for your answer. Can you tell me how to set the nonlinear in COMSOL to get the desired output?

Thanks, Xiao

>Probable cause: The analysis is geometrically linear. Hi Henrik, Thank you very much for your answer. Can you tell me how to set the nonlinear in COMSOL to get the desired output? Thanks, Xiao

Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 3 years ago 09.12.2021, 08:24 GMT-5

In the settings for the study, select the Include geometric nonlinearity check box. You will find a lot of information about geometrically nonlinear analysis in the documentation.

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
In the settings for the study, select the *Include geometric nonlinearity* check box. You will find a lot of information about geometrically nonlinear analysis in the documentation.

Posted: 3 years ago 10.12.2021, 01:02 GMT-5

In the settings for the study, select the Include geometric nonlinearity check box. You will find a lot of information about geometrically nonlinear analysis in the documentation.

Thank you a lot!

>In the settings for the study, select the *Include geometric nonlinearity* check box. You will find a lot of information about geometrically nonlinear analysis in the documentation. Thank you a lot!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.